Rants, Raves and Ramblings of a Doer

Take a Bow! Maa

Sunday, May 16, 2010 Posted by Vishnu , , 2 comments
Friday Morning, after I park my car, I had to walk uphill for about 10 mins to go to work. I was planning to redial to my home to continue the conversation on the phone with my mom (I love calling her AMMA) which ended a couple of minutes before that, due to some inconsistent wireless connection. My dad who wasn't present during my previous call had just arrived and learnt from my mother that I got this new job offer where I wouldn't be earning much.

I didn't anticipate much appreciation from my dad for cracking the 2 interviews to get this offer  past some 40 qualified applicants. This was based on my previous experiences on my accomplishments. As soon as he got the chance to talk to me, he said "Mom just told me about your new job offer. They are paying you very less, Aren't they?" For a quick second I was taken aback as the kiddo inside me was waiting for a pat on my shoulder instead of a question like this. More faster, I gained back my normal senses and replied to my dad that I have not yet accepted the offer as it was not a reasonable one and the discussion extended.

After 9 minutes of talk, I was almost about to enter my office and my mom hinted to my dad that he had to congratulate me first and my dad did! Now, that brings a smile! :) (I'll tell you what brings this smile in my next paragraph). My mom grabs the phone real quick, smiles for a second or two (You know you can hear the smiles of your dear ones, even though you can't see them), then says, "This good news is just like raining in Hot Sun!" (It is bad summer in Hyderabad).

That smile was not because of my accomplishment being recognized by my dad but because of my moms gesture. She really knew how the kid inside me has to be handled. I always felt that I'm a grown up and for that moment I didn't feel shy calling myself a kid. :). (After all, as my mom says, "Dilli ki Raju aina ... Thalli ki kodukuve - "You are still a mamma's boy, even if you are an Emperor"). She made sure that I was not feeling low at the end of the conversation and I'm sure she does it to everyone in the family. I was just amazed at the way they strike the balance in the family, the way they understand our emotions and the way they make us feel secure.

This post is dedicated all the moms including my mother, Madhu and Lakshmi Aunty who have been taking care of me as their son. I owe big time to all the ladies to who took care of me, which is an endless list and Take my Bow!



After all this happened, I never felt bad that my dad didn't applaud in the beginning. I felt good that he was thinking beyond the scenes about the consequences so that I'm safe and Happy. Dad, the next post is coming your way! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome..U just reminded me of the instance i told mah parents abt it... they were so happy and i can see the same smile :)

Pankaj Batra said...

ya, Mom is the best person you will meet ever in life